Did you know?
St. Anthony’s offers nutrition counseling, through one-on-one appointments and group classes. Instructors are registered, licensed dietitians. The cost may be covered by insurance.
Call 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) for more information, or to schedule an appointment.
Packing the power of fruits and vegetables
Cathy Feldmeier, a registered, licensed dietitian on staff at
St. Anthony’s, offers these tips to help preserve the nutrients
in your veggies, while adding interest and flavor:
- Microwaving is an easy way to prepare vegetables while protecting their nutrients. Studies show that microwaving broccoli can preserve up to 80 percent of its vitamin C content.
- Use a minimum of liquid. Many of the nutrients in veggies are water-soluble and will leach into the water. Try using a steamer or put a small amount of liquid in the pot. After it boils, add your vegetables and cook until they are just tender. Reuse the nutrient rich liquid in a soup or sauce.
- Roast or grill your veggies, which brings out their sweetness. Vegetables that work well for roasting include Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, peppers, squash, and root vegetables like potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Saute your veggies using a teaspoon or two of canola oil. Add fresh herbs for extra flavor.
- When possible, leave on the skin, which is a great source of fiber.
- To help prevent food borne illness, always wash vegetables before cooking them, even those in “ready to eat” packages.
- Strive to include a variety of colors of veggies in your mealtime repertoire: different colors provide different nutrients.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.