Comprehensive services. A focus on quality. Commitment to excellence. Close to home. That's what we've built here.
– David Morton, MD
St. Anthony's Chief Medical Officer
Heart Care Extras
Heart Care in the News
ideo | udio | ews
Heart Specialty Center
Our vision is simple — to provide the best heart care services in the country. See the amazing things we're doing in cardiac care at St. Anthony's.
A recognized leader in cardiac care, St. Anthony’s:
- Meets and exceeds the highest level of accreditation for advanced heart services and “best practice” standards.
- Has the only heart failure program in the region. Patients enrolled in the program have been proven to feel better and experience fewer related symptoms.
- Is home to an electrophysiology lab that was the first in the Midwest to have a three-dimensional heart mapping system, which enables doctors to build a model of each patient’s heart prior to surgery.
- Treats arteries not only in the heart, but also in the legs, with a catheter, balloon or stent, which allows most patients to return home the next day.
- Is one of 30 heart-care providers across the country selected recently to take part in a study of a device designed to prevent blood clots in patients with atrial fibrillation.
Advanced Heart Care
If advanced care is needed, St. Anthony's has the facilities and expertise to handle it. Our custom-designed surgical suites, such as a hybrid surgery-catheterization room and electrophysiology suites with 3-D heart mapping, have been called industry innovations.
Our Heart Specialty Center also has a circulatory assist device, an Impella heart pump, that helps to support the blood circulation of critically ill patients and allows cardiologists to perform heart procedures much more safely.
St. Anthony's Heart Specialty Center offers board-certified heart specialists who practice compassionate, evidence-based care and enable us to provide rapid evaluation and treatment.
Cardiologists, available 24/7, are part of a 13-member group practice, the Heart Specialty Associates, and an acclaimed cardiac surgery team on the St. Anthony’s Medical Center campus. The Heart Specialty Associates have offices in Kirkwood and South County.
Emergency Heart Care
In a cardiac emergency, St. Anthony's uses two web-based programs that transmit electrocardiograms directly from an ambulance to the Emergency Department physicians for quick detection of heart attacks. This allows the emergency team to better prepare for the patient and contact the cardiac cath lab team before the patient even arrives.
Heart Care in the Community
Our heart care starts in the community, where eight EMS agencies or ambulance districts and a 911 center are under the medical direction of St. Anthony's. In addition, St. Anthony's provides monthly continuing education classes for EMS crews to ensure their skills and training are up-to-date.
St. Anthony's also offers classes and programs throughout the community to evaluate and identify risk factors for heart disease, while encouraging healthier lifestyles.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
At St. Anthony's, our vision is to be the area's premier health care organization
— and your first choice for health care services.