Heart Care Extras
Heart Care in the News
ideo | udio | ews
Heart Specialty Center
Diagnostic & Treatment Options
St. Anthony’s Medical Center operates the third largest heart program in the St. Louis region and is insurance-designated as a Center of Excellence for quality cardiac care.
Major Cardiac Services:
- fast tracked stress testing (treadmill and nuclear stress tests)
- bypass surgery
- “keyhole” or small incision surgery for aortic and mitral valve repair and replacement
- outpatient and inpatient cardiac catheterization
- carotid stenting
- clinical trials of new cardiac drugs and procedures
- pacemaker and defibrillator implantation
- Cox-Maze atrial fibrillation surgery
- regional referral center for non-surgical cardiac ablation for atrial fibrillation
- regional referral center for highly specialized lead extraction, or removal of damaged wires from implanted pacemakers or defibrillators
- certified Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- region's only Heart Failure Clinic
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab — Procedures such as heart catheterization, angioplasty, stenting and atherectomy are performed in this highly advanced setting to repair certain heart conditions or open narrowed or blocked arteries and blood vessels.
- Electrophysiology Lab — Procedures are performed here to assess the characteristics of irregular heart rate, as well as treat chronic irregular heartbeat. As an example, pacemakers may be implanted to help regulate a heartbeat that is too slow or cardiac defibrillators may be inserted to help regulate too rapid of a heartbeat.
- Surgery — Our board-certified cardiovascular surgeons use traditional open and minimally invasive (beating heart) surgical techniques to perform a full range of heart surgeries, including coronary artery bypass graft; valve repair and replacement; and other surgical procedures on the heart muscle, valves, arteries and other structures.
- Stress Test —This test is performed using a treadmill or administration of medicine to test the effect of exercise on the heart.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) — A diagnostic procedure that measures electrical activity in the heart, including the rate and regularity of heartbeats.
- Echocardiogram — An ultrasound of the heart, this diagnostic procedure allows physicians to view the chambers and valves of the heart and measure the speed and direction of blood flow.
- Transesophageal Echocardiogram — During this diagnostic procedure, the patient swallows a probe that stops at heart level. Through ultrasound technology, it offers a clear view of the heart’s function.
- Holter Monitor — The patient wears a portable device for 24 hours that continuously records heart rate and rhythm during normal daily activities.
- Event Monitor —The patient wears a portable recording device for up to 30 days; turning it on for brief periods of time to record heart rate and rhythm as instructed by his or her physician or technician.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
At St. Anthony's, our vision is to be the area's premier health care organization
— and your first choice for health care services.