Check out this showstopper dessert — using alternatives to reduce fat and calories.
Creamy lemon squares
Makes 16 servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-28 minutes
20 Reduced Fat Vanilla Wafers, finely crushed
½ cup flour
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup (1/2 stick) cold margarine
1 pkg. (8 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp lemon zest, divided
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp baking powder
2 tsp powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Line 8-inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides.
3. Mix wafer crumbs, ½ cup flour and brown sugar in bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press into bottom of prepared pan.
4. Bake 15 minutes.
5. Beat reduced-fat cream cheese and granulated sugar with mixer until blended. Add eggs and 2 Tbsp flour; mix well. Blend in 1 Tbsp lemon zest, lemon juice, and baking powder; pour over crust.
6. Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until center is set. Cool. Refrigerate 2 hours.
7. Sprinkle powdered sugar and remaining lemon zest. Use foil handles to lift dessert from pan before cutting.
Note: For a softer crust, bake crust initially at 350°F for 5 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis per serving:
Calories 50, total fat 2.5gm (saturated fat 1.5 gm), carbohydrates 4gm, protein 4gm, fiber <1gm, sodium 150mg
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
At St. Anthony's, our vision is to be the area's premier health care organization
— and your first choice for health care services.